Bar Exam Information
Bar examination registration procedures and dates vary across jurisdictions. In some states, applicants complete fitness approval prior to taking the exam; in others, they sit for the exam before fitness investigations are completed. There is one consistency: all deadlines are firm, so you will want to educate yourself, track schedules diligently, and submit materials early.
Discounts may be given to students registering early, including 1L and 2L registrants, so check these sites for requirements on fitness and examination registration:
- National Council of Bar Examiners: http://ncbex.org
- Georgia Office of Bar Admissions: http://www.gabaradmissions.org/
- Multistate Professional Responsibiity Examination (MPRE)
- American Bar Association Bar Admissions Information
Attorneys and LL.M. students with law degrees from outside the U.S. are advised to consult Section 507 of The Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admissions Requirements for information on their eligibility for individual states' bar admissions.
Each year the Office of Student Professional Development hosts representatives from the Georgia Office of Bar Admissions in two key programs:
- Character & Fitness for the Bar Application: Podcast from September 23, 2013 presentation by Sally Lockwood, Director of the Georgia Office of Bar Admissions
- How to Pass the Bar Exam (link to audio recording from last year's presentation on March 20, 2012)
These programs are geared towards 3Ls, but all law students are welcome to attend. Students taking the bar exam in states other than Georgia will find the advice from Bar Admissions and the Bar Examiners helpful as well. These information sessions are announced via e-mail and Symplicity and are posted on the law school events calendar.