Call for Papers: Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (FAT*)
Paper registration deadline: Sept 29, 2017
Paper submission deadline: Oct 6, 2017
Conference: Feb 23–24, 2018
FAT* is an international and interdisciplinary peer-reviewed conference that seeks to publish and present work examining the fairness, accountability, and transparency of algorithmic systems. The FAT* conference solicits work from a wide variety of disciplines, including computer science, statistics, the humanities, and law. It intends to bring together the community that has grown through a number of workshops at other conferences, including FATML at NIPS, ICML, and KDD; FATREC at RecSys; Ethics in NLP at EACL, Machine Learning and the Law at NIPS; the Workshop on Data and Algorithmic Bias at CIKM; the Workshop on Discrimination and Privacy-Aware Data Mining at ICDM; Workshop on Human Interpretability at ICML; and the Workshop on Data and Algorithmic Transparency.
To ensure that all submissions to FAT* are reviewed by a knowledgable and appropriate set of reviewers, the conference is divided into tracks with separate track chairs:
- Theory and Security, chaired by Anupam Datta (Carnegie Mellon University) and Aaron Roth (University of Pennsylvania)
- Statistics, Machine Learning, Data Mining, NLP, and Computer Vision, chaired by Alexandra Chouldechova (Carnegie Mellon University), Been Kim (Google), Dirk Hovy (University of Copenhagen), and Michael Kearns (University of Pennsylvania)
- Programming Languages, Databases, and other Systems (Recommender, Information Retrieval, etc.), chaired by Aws Albarghouthi (University of Wisconsin – Madison), Michael Ekstrand (Boise State University), and Gerome Miklau (University of Massachusetts – Amherst)
- Visualization, Human Computer Interaction, and User Studies, chaired by Carlos Scheidegger (University of Arizona) and Karrie Karahalios (UIUC)
- Measurement and Algorithm Audits, chaired by Christian Sandvig (University of Michigan) and Arvind Narayanan (Princeton University)
- Law, Policy, and Social Science, chaired by danah boyd (Microsoft Research and the Data & Society Research Institute) and Ryan Calo (University of Washington)
Full details in the Call for Papers: https://fatconference.org/2018/cfp.html
FAT* welcomes full paper submissions that extend previously published short papers (e.g. from workshops).