Global Externship Overseas
Georgia Law students enjoy opportunities to gain global practice experience through four-to-twelve-week summer extern placements around the world.
The law school’s Dean Rusk International Law Center leads the Global Externship Overseas, coordinating placements in a variety of law-office settings. Over the last fifteen years, more than 200 Georgia Law students have taken part in these GEOs, working with attorney supervisors and local staff. They return to Athens with new colleagues and mentors, with law-practice skills, and with deeper appreciation of the global legal profession.
Students secure placements tailored to their career goals with the aid of the Dean Rusk International Law Center, which each year develops potential sites to which students may apply. Recent placements include:
- Law firms like the GÖRG Law Firm in Germany, Priti Suri & Associates in India, Siqueira Castro Advogadoes in Brazil, and King & Wood Mallesons in China
- Government agencies like the Cambodia Ministry of Arts & Antiquities and the Guyana Office of the Attorney General
- Corporate legal departments like the Clorox Company in Argentina
- Intergovernmental organizations like the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in France and the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT) in Italy
- Nongovernmental organizations like Natural Justice in South Africa and Malaysia, the International Lesbian and Gay Association in Belgium, Tamkeen Fields for Aid in Jordan, and the Human Rights League in Slovakia
Assisted by the Dean Rusk International Law Center, many Georgia Law students receive stipends from the law school, while others secure external funding from organizations such as the Freeman Foundation. Many split their summers, often combining a GEO with the Georgia Law-Leuven Centre Global Governance Summer School. Continuing a long tradition of summer study abroad, the 4-credit, 2016 session will be held from July 10 to 30, at the centuries-old University of Leuven, one of Belgium’s premier research institutions, located in a beautiful city accessible to many capitals.