The Summer Externship offers students the chance to receive credit for externships during the summer semester. The course allows between 2-4 credits, depending on the number of hours worked during the summer. You can apply for credit for work that you have arranged, as a “student-arranged” placement. You can also apply for credit for one of handful of “school-arranged” placements. You can download the application form from the “How to Apply” page.
The Corporate Counsel Externship also offers full-time placements. Find out more on the Corporate Counsel Externship webpage.
This page summarizes the most important points about the Summer Externship course. For more information, download the Summer Externship PDF for more information.
- You can earn 2-4 four credits for work in an approved placement. The number of credits depends on the total number of hours that you work during the summer.
- You must work a minimum of 140 hours and a maximum of 280 hours and must work for a minimum of 6 consecutive weeks.
- You will complete assignments for the course, including reading, listserv discussion, and reflective and analytical writing.
- You will receive a grade for your work in the course.
The Application Process
- You can apply for credit for work that you arrange (a “student-arranged” placement) or for work that we arrange (a “school-arranged” placement.) This file contains advice on finding a placement yourself and a list of “school-arranged” placements.
- You can apply for approval of a student-arranged placement as soon as you receive an offer. We review the placement before we approve it. We will make decisions on applications in the order we receive them. Apply as soon as you can.
- The deadline to apply for school-arranged placements is March 21. You can apply for up to three placements. Placements will make decisions about who to accept by April 4.
Enrollment, Tuition and Financial Aid
- Once accepted, you will need to register for the Summer Externship course.
- Make sure of the number of credits you plan to earn before you register. We cannot change that number after you register.
- You pay tuition per credit for summer courses. Check with Student Account Services for information about cost.
- You can get financial aid if register for 3 or more credits during the summer.
Starting February 23
- To apply, fill out the application form that you will receive by email from Professor Scherr or can find on the Summer Externship web page on the law school’s web site. The form asks you to designate either a student-arranged or a school-arranged placement. It asks for different information for each.
- We handle school-arranged placements differently than student-arranged placements:
- School-arranged: you may apply for no more than 3 school-arranged placements. For each application, make sure to attach your resume; if you submit your application by e-mail, attach a file containing your resume to the e-mail. Applications for school-arranged placements are due by March 15.
- You can apply for a school-arranged placement by downloading the application form from the Summer Externship website. Fill the form out, save it, and email it to Alex Scherr at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also print your completed form and deliver it to the Civil Externship office in Room 338 of the Law School.
- After we have received all applications for school-arranged placements, we will contact you about interviewing with those placements. We expect to have roughly 10 - 12 slots available between all of the placements. If you are offered and accept one of these placements, you are accepted into the program.
- Student-arranged: you can apply for a student-arranged placement by downloading the application form from the Summer Externship website. Fill the form out, save it, and email it to Alex Scherr at email@example.com. You can also print your completed form and deliver it to the Civil Externship office in Room 338 of the Law School.
- We will review student-arranged placements as they come in, and approve them in the order in which we receive them. You must have received an offer from the placement to apply. We will review the placement proposal and may contact your proposed placement to make that it satisfies our requirements. We take student-arranged applications as long as we have space. APPLY EARLY to assure yourself consideration.
- We reserve the right to limit the total number of students enrolled in the program, so as to ensure adequate faculty supervision.
- Deadline for applications to school-arranged placements.
- Deadline for decisions about school-arranged placements. If we still have room for student-arranged applicants, we will continue to accept applications until we are filled.
Before you leave for the summer semester:
You must meet with one of the summer externship faculty. In this meeting, you will set your goals for the summer, review course requirements, and schedule your deadlines and meetings for the summer. Before you meet with the clinician, you should have: 1) been in contact with her by e-mail; 2) read the article she will have provided to you in that correspondence; and 3) been in contact with your site supervisor to confirm the start and end dates of your externship.