News @ Georgia Law November 2011 Student Profile
Name: Van'Nessa A'Vion Lotson
Hometown: Savannah, Ga.
Expected graduation year: 2013
Georgia Law extracurricular activities: Barbri Student Representative and BLSA General Member
Undergraduate degree(s)/institution(s)/year(s): Criminal Justice/Savannah State University/2008
1. What did you do before attending law school?
- I worked at the Chatham County Sheriff's Department in receiving and discharge.
2. What inspired you to want to become a lawyer?
I had an internship with the District Attorney's Office in Savannah, and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to go to law school.
3. Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
- Ten years from now I see myself serving as a judge in Savannah, Ga.
4. Who is your favorite Georgia Law professor? Why?
- Professor Andrea Dennis. Her class was very interesting, and she explained things in a way that I could understand.
5. Thus far, what is your most memorable experience from your time at Georgia Law?
- My most memorable experience was the legal research and writing scavenger hunt and how stressed out I was during that process.
6. What are some activities/clubs/clinics you are involved in at the law school?
- I am a Barbri student representative, and I am a member of the Black Law Students Association. I am also on the BLSA mock trial team.
7. What do you enjoy most about that activity/club/clinic?
- I enjoy working for Barbri as a student representative because it enables me to come out of my shell and interact with different people who come to the tables we have. I enjoy being a member of BLSA because they truly care about our success in law school and offer so many things to help us along the way.
8. What are your hobbies?
- I enjoy playing the flute, tennis, board games and spending time with my family and friends.
9. If you could share an afternoon with anyone, with whom would you choose to spend it?
- I would spend it with my husband. Law school takes up so much of my time, and I like to spend the extra with him.
10. Where is your favorite place to study? Why?
- My favorite place to study is at home. I concentrate better when I am at home and tend to get more work done.
11. What are two things you always have with you when you study?
- A snack and laptop. I concentrate better when I'm not distracted by hunger.
12. How do you handle the stress of law school?
- I attend church, and I talk to my family and friends.
13. What would you consider your greatest accomplishment in life?
- I consider my education to be my greatest accomplishment so far in life. I am the first generation in my family to attend law school. I've come further than I expected, and I am very proud of myself.
14. What is your favorite place on campus? Why?
- My favorite place is the annex of the law library because it is a quiet place to go in between my classes.