The Dean Rusk International Law Center at the University of Georgia School of Law benefits from a global community, beginning at our Athens main campus, including our Atlanta campus, and extending well beyond. In addition to faculty renowned for teaching, scholarship, and service in international, comparative, law and policy, this community includes our Center’s permanent and Student Ambassador staff, whose extensive background in global affairs brings to the Center language skills not only in English, but also in Arabic, French, German, Haitian Creole, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Mongolian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. Also integral to our community are Georgia Law students and alumni/ae, as well as external partners.
Led by Kathleen A. Doty, Director, the Center's permanent team includes:
Mandy Dixon, International Professional Education Assistant
Laura Kagel, Associate Director for International Professional Education
Christian Lee, Global Practice Preparation Assistant
Amanda Shaw, Associate Director for Global Practice Preparation
Our J.D., LL.M., and M.S.L. students enrich the work of the Center by taking classes in our global practice curriculum, by serving as Student Ambassadors, and by playing active roles in student organizations such as the:
- International Law Society, our law school’s chapter of the worldwide International Law Students Association
- Georgia Journal of International & Comparative Law, which celebrated its 45th anniversary in 2017
- International law advocacy teams in the Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court and Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot competitions
Thanks to its 75-year-old tradition in international law, the University of Georgia School of Law benefits from a network of approximately 10,000 alumni/ae, including more than 400 LL.M. graduates. They include judges and law firm partners, leaders in governments and in intergovernmental and nongovernmental organizations, heads of corporate legal departments, and university professors. Some of our valued graduates also support us by serving as members of our Dean Rusk International Law Center Council.
Our Center is honored to partner with other University of Georgia units, such as the African Studies Institute, the Latin American & Caribbean Studies Institute, the School of Public & International Affairs, the Department of Comparative Literature, and the Willson Center for Humanities & Arts, as well as the state’s Institute of Continuing Judicial Education.
We also have benefited from partnerships, cosponsorships, and other collaboration with external institutions like the:
- American Bar Association Section of International Law
- American Branch of the International Law Association
- American Society of International Law, with which we enjoy an Academic Partnership
- Atlanta International Arbitration Society
- Global Atlanta
- Junior International Law Scholars Association
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies, University of Leuven, Belgium
- United Nations Academic Impact
- World Affairs Council of Atlanta