Name: Michael L. McGlamry
Title: Attorney/Shareholder/Member of Board of Directors
Employer Name: Pope McGlamry, P.C.
Location: 3391 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 300, Atlanta, GA 30326
Number of years in this position or with this employer: 26 years
Georgia Law graduation year: 1982
Other degrees / institution: B.A. in History / Wake Forest University
1. Why did you choose to attend the University of Georgia School of Law?
I wanted to be in-state at the school most lawyers around would have attended and help establish a network of UGA alums.
2. Who was your favorite Georgia Law professor? Why?
Professor Michael Wells because he was new, very bright and had interesting hand movements.
3. What is your most memorable experience from your time at Georgia Law?
Met the woman who would become my wife and won the campus intramural football title.
4. Where was your favorite place to study during law school?
5. What was your favorite thing about living in Athens?
The big school atmosphere, sports and the social life.
6. What advice would you give to a current law school student?
Don't go into the practice with a preconceived notion that one side or the other, plaintiff or defendant, is either good or bad. Both sides have the right and the need for access to our courts.
7. Please briefly describe your current position at Pope McGlamry.
I am a shareholder and member of the Board of Directors.
8. What do you enjoy most about your job? What is the most rewarding aspect?
I have and have had a great opportunity to work for and against very bright, committed and passionate lawyers.
9. What made you decide to be a lawyer?
My dad was a lawyer and I looked up to and admired him; it seemed the right thing to do.
10. What is the most interesting case you have encountered in your practice (if applicable)?
Mabry v. State Farm. This was a statewide class action involving coverage of diminished value under a person's automobile policy. We asserted that Georgia law required the carrier to assess for diminished value for its policyholders and offer to pay it or deny it. We were successful 7-0 before the Georgia Supreme Court on at least three occasions before the case settled. As a result, every major carrier doing business in Georgia followed suit.
11. What do you do to handle the stress of your work? How do you relax after a stressful day?
I like to work out, walk. I have taken up Pilates. I also like spending time with the family and my two dachshund pups.
12. What advice would you give to someone working in your field?
Be patient. Work hard and always try to do the right thing for your client.
13. What do you enjoy doing during your free time? What are your hobbies?
The beach and my family.
14. If you could share an afternoon with anyone, with whom would you choose to spend it?
President Jimmy Carter. I believe he is a great man and Georgia's greatest.
15. What would you consider your greatest accomplishment in life?
My three daughters: Caroline (a Georgia Law graduate) who is working for us now; Kate (UGA undergrad) is now in medical school at Emory and Elizabeth is a senior at Duke.
16. How do you stay up to date on legal issues and trends?
Listen to my wife. She is smarter than me.
17. What book/resource do you find yourself referencing the most?
18. When you look out your office window, what do you see?