Twenty-seven University of Georgia students, faculty and staff members who have died since April 2022 - including two members of the School of Law community - will be honored at the university’s annual candlelight memorial service on May 2 at 7 p.m. on the steps of the UGA Chapel.
President Jere W. Morehead will lead the service. Names of each of the 11 students and 16 faculty and staff members will be read aloud, followed by a toll of the Chapel bell and the lighting of a candle.
Names will be read by Savannah Hembree, president of the UGA Staff Council; George Moore, president of the Student Government Association; and Luke Naeher, chair of the University Council Executive Committee. Members of the Arch Society will light candles as each name is read.
Members of the university community and the public are invited to attend. In the event of inclement weather, the event will be moved inside the Chapel.
Students whose names will be read, along with their hometowns and the areas of study they were pursuing, are:
- Conner Barkie, a fourth-year undergraduate from Cumming, Georgia, majoring in psychology
- Beth Buchanan, a doctoral student from Fresno, California, majoring in psychology
- Ethan Caldwell, a fourth-year undergraduate from Carrollton, Georgia, majoring in risk management and insurance
- Matthew Campbell, an incoming transfer student from Jasper, Georgia, and an intended major in management
- Hannah Folsom, a first-year undergraduate from Warner Robins, Georgia, majoring in international affairs
- Eun Jung, a doctoral student from Daegu, South Korea, majoring in mathematics education
- Molly Ridley McKie, a fourth-year undergraduate from Athens, Georgia, majoring in biology
- McAuley Millen, a second-year undergraduate student from Charlotte, North Carolina, majoring in psychology
- Ellen Scott, a second-year law student from Houston, Texas
- Caleb Thompson, a third-year law student from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Devin Willock, a third-year undergraduate student from New Milford, New Jersey, majoring in sport management
Faculty and staff whose names will be read, along with the positions they held, are:
- Angela Avery, laboratory technician, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Safije Bakalli, laboratory technician, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Kathy Bolt, academic advisor, Franklin College of Arts & Sciences
- Orlando Daniel, temporary food service worker, Auxiliary Services – Dining Services
- Douglas Dvoracek, researcher, Center for Applied Isotope Studies
- Catrina Dygert, office assistant, College of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Andre Farley, food service worker, Rock Eagle 4-H Center
- Keith Fowler, computer operations technician II, EITS – Data Center Operations
- Angela Hall, temporary faculty, Women’s Studies Institute
- Sally Hoover, office assistant, Southwest District – Cooperative Extension
- Marc van Iersel, professor, Department of Horticulture
- Shigeru Koyama, chef, Georgia Center for Continuing Education
- Kendra Lawrence, senior associate director of admissions, Office of Admissions
- Chandler LeCroy, recruiting analyst, Athletic Association
- Michael Thomas, plumber, Facilities Management Division
- Andrew Williams, grounds foreman, Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens